Mom It Forward Has a New Home!


Please check out our new digs at http://momitforward.com & click here to RSVP for this week's #gno!


DOES Dating Your Partner Improve Your Relationship?


Angie guest posts, she is the mom in charge of the Seven Clown Circus. She has 5 children and enjoys volunteer work. She is a moderator on a support site for parents of monoamniotic twins and enjoys freelance writing.



I look forward to dates. I really, really do.

My husband and I haven't always dated. Of course, we did when we were.......well, dating. And then we got married and started having babies, and the dates just sort of ended. It happened so gradually that I didn't notice....for years in fact.

Finally, we decided that that needed to change. We wanted it to change, and it was one of the best things we did for our marriage. We started dating.

  • Going out on dates gives us both a chance to get "dolled up" for each other. It gives us an opportunity to really take time on our appearance and wear clothing that we might not at work or at home with children. I know I feel great when I get to wear "sexy" jeans and heels and leave the house without an entourage.
  • Going out on dates gives us an opportunity to reconnect. To talk about things that are important to us. To have a converstation that we don't have to worry about being overheard by little ears. It gives us a chance to laugh and have fun without interruption.
  • Going out on dates allows us an opportunity to hold hands and show public displays of affection. Admit it. When those public displays of affection are G rated, it feels pretty darn special.



Dates are good for us individually and as a partnership, and they don't have to be fancy or expensive.

My perfect date is the one where I feel good about myself, connect with my partner, feel rejuvenated afterwards, and know that the date helped my relationship move forward. My perfect date is fun.



So, grab your partner, arrange for a sitter if you need to, and go out and do whatever it is that's fun for the two of you. And enjoy yourselves. Don't forget to do it often!



Stumble Upon Toolbaradd to kirtsy

12 comments:

angie said...

Wow. Her dating advice is amazing. j/k.

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of such a great movement you have going on here!

Rachael said...

love this angie, john + i make an effort to go out on a date once a month or so. in between, we have an at home date night once a week!

Erin, Nick and Merrick said...

"Home Date."
LOVE that phrase Rachael!
We have those about once a week as well. Just connecting w/o baby is important!

mommaof4wife2r said...

ok, so me and hubs love to date...it's one of our fav things to do and like you, angie, with 4 kiddos, we have to get a date in or we never get uninterrupted time.

besides, it's our time to gaze into each others eyes...ok, even i can't type it without laughing. we so don't do that, but we do laugh a lot!!!

Lolli said...

Great advice, Angie! My husband and I just started dating regularly again after my oldest became legal babysitting age. It's been wonderful!

BrandyEllen said...

I am so glad u wrote this post. I just had a long convo with my hubby last night about us needing to get out more. I mean we have not been out in almost a year really I don't recall the last time we were "alone" honestly! So while tears flowed down my face because I am so frustrated of not having time with him alone we agreed we do need more "us time" and will get his sister to babysit HOPEFULLY since we have no other support. Love this post!!!

Hugs,
brandyellen@writingsofawahm.com

Heather said...

Great article, Angie. I think dates are important, and wish my husband and I could find time to go out more often.

Jennifer said...

Perfectly stated! Dates are necessities in this household!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Great advice Angie but I am so not surprised. Dating is fun and we always see a nice change in how we behave toward each other in the few days after. It fades, hah, but then it's time to go out again.

Upstatemomof3 said...

It is so important to foster your marriage. Dating is a good idea but no matter how you do it you really need to put your marriage first.

Mammatalk said...

I am a big fan of Angie's. Good choice!

Mama Zen said...

Excellent advice!